And suddenly, it is autumn. Yesterday was the most perfect fall day with crystal blue skies, with just enough nip in the air to bring out the sweaters. I’ve put in an order for two months worth of identical days, so I hope the weatherperson delivers.
And now for the news:
* Jonathan Walford has a new book coming out, Sixties Fashion: From Less is More to Youthquake. It is set to be released on October 31, 2013.
* And speaking of Jonathan, he gives insights on 1920s fashion in an article about the costuming of the latest The Great Gatsby movie. Lisa Hix of Collectors Weekly examines the issue.
* Claire Shaeffer also has a book and DVD coming out this fall, Couture Sewing: The Couture Cardigan Jacket, Sewing Secrets from a Chanel Collector. It’s just in time for my fall and winter jacket project, being released on October 22, 2013.
* If you know someone who just does not get why buying fast fashion is not in their best interest, you might refer them to this short video from The Minute MBA.
* And on the other end of the spectrum, designer Margaret Howell tells why quality is important.
* I’m not sure how I feel about the prank that Jimmy Kimmel played on people at New York Fashion Week. He sent out a “reporter” who asked people about “designers” who do not exist. Some people pretended to know these designers, and the results are pretty embarrassing.
* Europeana Fashion is holding a series of Edit-a-tons, where fashion fashion enthusiasts gather to fact check and edit Wikipedia entries on fashion topics. The latest is being held now, in Belgium, but I’m sure more are planned. If you are in Europe, you might put this on your fashion radar. I think it is a brilliant idea.
* The New Yorker has an article on the New York garment district this week. You have to be a subscriber to read the entire article, but there is an interesting video teaser on the website.
* This has nothing to do with fashion but here is why it is wrong to jump to conclusions over photos on the internet.
* I’m still loving Instagram, and invite you to check it out and follow my photos. There and only there can you see photos of me being silly with my beautiful great-niece.
I realize that this post is a day late, but I decided a long time ago that I do not live to blog. I try to keep to a schedule, but some things (such as a great-niece) trump blogging!