Ever since I found the vintage nautical print terry cloth seen above, I knew it was destined to become a swimsuit cover up. I had several patterns from which to choose, but I was favoring Vogue 7092, which is dated 1950. I liked it because it is not a jacket, it is a stole with the sides open. My plan was to use the terry on the inside and to use a solid white on the outside.
When I found that $2 bolt of vintage white pique, I knew I’d found my other fabric.
The pattern was listed as “one size” which meant I needed to make a few adjustments, especially for length. I shortened the front and the back, but I also decided to take out some of the fullness in the back, mainly because I was using such a bulky fabric for the lining.
I had finished the stole except for attaching the belt when I showed it off to my husband. He said he didn’t think I ought to hide the print on the inside as it was so nice. And while I wanted it for the inside because of the absorbency, I could see his point. So instead of attaching the belt to the back, I made belt loops (not seen in photos) so I could wear it either way. I do love a reversible garment.
I love this vintage terry, which I found at the Goodwill outlet. So with the amount of pique and the cost of the pattern and the terry, I have about $3 invested in this project. I’ll probably use the money I saved to buy more fabric.