It seems like it has been forever since I did a sewing post. Part of it is that I’m not much of a summer sewer. I like a cold, snowy day with no other agenda in order to really get serious about sewing. Nevertheless, I have managed to make a few things in the past warm months.
High on my list was a swimsuit cover-up, which I made from Butterick’s Two-Way Wrap Dress pattern, number 4699. I made it from the silly Scotty dog print you can see there, a print I’d bought to make pajamas. But I decided I needed a cover-up more than the pjs, so there you are. I don’t have a photo of the finished article, but it looks just like the pattern illustration, except that I made it a bit shorter. It’s not terribly flattering, but it does allow one to get from hotel room to hotel pool without feeling over exposed. So mission accomplished.
I had a bit of the print left over and on a whim decided to made a matching hat. I had several hat patterns from which to choose, but I went with one I’d never used, Simplicity 6250. I like a basic bucket shape, and this was the closest pattern I had. I used a tiny waffle pique for the outside, and the Scotty print was to be the lining. Actually the pattern does not call for a lining, so I used the print for the underside of the brim, attached the brim to the crown, and then put the crown lining in by hand.
I realize that I made a cutting mistake, which was partially caused by the fact that my print fabric had to be pieced to form the brim. Because of that my Scotties are standing on their heads when the brim is flipped back!
The pattern is super easy, with the only hard part being the construction of the crown. You have to mark it carefully to make sure it all comes to a nice, crisp, six-way point.
This turned out to be a great little beach hat. It is light enough that I could roll it up and stick it in my pocket, and then pull it out when it was needed. I’m pretty sure I’ll be using up more scraps left over from prior projects with this pattern.