Let’s all take a break from the virus news, why don’t we? You can take a long hike, or sit there and read some news from the fashion, art, and textile history world.
- Is this the Jane Austin’s sampler?
- I’m amazed by the abundance of orphaned photos I run across. Han Cao is transforming them.
- What happens when museums and historical societies are strapped for cash?
- The company formed by Laura Ashley is in deep trouble.
- Sweaters are always in style on Fair Isle.
- Make your handbag special by adding a bit of a historic document.
- The Smithsonian has given millions of their photographs open access.
- Holocaust survivor’s dress sewn from scavenged Nazi fabric is part of a new War Memorial display.
- Read about Fay Fuller, the first woman to reach the summit of Mount Rainier, in 1890.
- Here’s a peek at the Levis archive.
- I know virtual museum visits are not as satisfying as the real thing, but when there is no other alternative, why not spend some time “exploring” the world’s treasures from the comfort of your own home?
10 responses to “Vintage Miscellany – March 18, 2020”
The irony is that I’ve been given so many diversions — virtual museum tours, free and low-cost online classes of every possible description, crafty project ideas, TV/movie/book/music suggestions, live-streams of everything from adorable otters to singing quarantined Italians — that I’m having a hard time actually getting any work done. LOL. Thanks for another list of interesting options!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I just hope we don’t get bored with all the options before this eases.
I about never go to museums. But ironically, I’d planned to go to Charles M. Schulz museum this month to see the Lucy exhibit. And of course, they are closed! Great post, thanks for the links! 🙂
I hope you do make it to see the Lucy exhibit. Maybe it will inspire you to see even more!
As a collector of vintage photos myself, I loved the work of Han Cao. Thanks!
Isn’t it gorgeous?
Thank you Lizzie,
WIsh I could go on a long hike but it’s strictly forbidden here in France : only short walks, not far from home, with a derogation in my pocket. Blogs are precious !
No hiking? Quel dommage!
It won’t last forever (j’espère)
Great articles, thank you! I shared the sampler with my mum, Shetland with my knitting Facebook group, Levi’s with workmates & Laura Ashley with our designer!!
If I run out of work in lockdown (as if) I’ll take a virtual museum visit…