You might remember this super two-piece dress from my post two weeks ago, only it looks slightly different today. After a lot of self-debate, I decided that there was enough of the original design intact to try and remove the later alterations.
The top was pretty straight forward. I took out the hem and lengthened it as much as possible, one and a half inches. I have no way of knowing if that was the original hem placement, as it is possible that some fabric was removed from the bottom of the over blouse.
This is the interior, showing the hem. As you can see, I let it out as far as possible. The hem tape is rayon, from the 1920s.
I also took out the side zipper and let out the seams as far as I could, which was not much. I removed the half belt in the back, and the back darts.
The skirt was a bit more difficult. I removed the added waistband, preserving all the original fabric. I then made a camisole from white linen to which I attached the skirt. In doing so, I shortened the skirt a bit so that the pleats would break at the bottom on the over blouse hem.
There were also long darts taken in the top of the skirt so that it would fit at the waist. I removed these and stitched up the opening that had been made.
I used a basting stitch to attach the skirt to the camisole. If the dress is ever put on display, it will need a stronger stitch.
It was a lot of work, but to me, the charm of the decoration is that it is so 1920s Art Deco. The dress needed to look like what it started its life as – a 1920s dress.
The after shot shows a longer top and shorter skirt, just like the dress would have had originally. There’s not a lot of difference, just enough to make it look “right.”